Packard introduced its first 6-cylinder automobile, the 525 CI Model 1-48, in 1911. That was followed by the smaller displacement 1-38 in December 1912. Displacing 415 CI, it had 7 main bearings and generated 60 HP, and was the first Packard to use left hand drive and an electric starter-generator designed by Charles Kettering. Its most intriguing feature was an electrical system control unit mounted on the steering column. Designed by chief engineer Jesse Vincent, who later conceived the Twin Six and Liberty aircraft engines, it brought ignition, light and horn switches and carburetor mixture controls within easy reach of the driver, vastly simplifying operation. Built on a shorter 115.5-inch wheelbase, this Packard 1-38 Runabout measured nearly 2 feet shorter than the full-sized Packards, resulting in sportier performance. It was meticulously restored by Tim Olendorf, and later repainted in correct Red with White pinstriping after its sale to a noted Michigan collector who commissioned award winning restorer Brian Joseph to complete the work. Having previously won numerous awards including a First in Class at Meadow Brook Hall, Best of Show at Bay Harbour and a First in Class at Greenfield Village, it is completely ready to once again show and compete on the Concours circuit.
- 1 of 5 known remaining examples
- First in Class at Meadow Brook Hall
- Best of Show at Bay Harbor
- First in Class at Greenfield Village
- Restored by Brian Joseph
- 415 CI L-Head six cylinder engine
- 3-speed manual transmission
- Front and rear seats were upholstered
- Refurbished wood steering wheel
- Highly polished brass and aluminum accessories
- The chassis, suspension and axles were painted the body color
- 115.5 inch wheelbase
- 1913 was the first year Packard featured left hand drive and electric start
THIS CAR WILL BE OFFERED FOR SALE AT THE RM AUCTION AT AMELIA ISLAND ON MARCH 8 , 2014.
PLEASE REFER TO RM'S SALES DEPT. WITH ANY QUESTIONS REGARDING THIS VEHICLE , THANK YOU.